Do you need to Get Help or are you Homeless? Homelessness is when you do not have a safe affordable home to sleep or live in. Unfortunately this is the reality for one in every 200 Australians.
Homeless women lack personal security and privacy. They usually lack control over their environment and control over their lives because they are dependent on others to provide accommodation. They often lack connectedness with family, friends and the community. And they are often frequently discriminated against. For example, have you ever tried to apply for a job or open a bank account without having a fixed home address to jot down on the application forms?
Manly Women’s Shelter welcomes homeless women who are:
- Married or de-facto
- Same-sex relationships
- Of any religion and cultural background
- Do not need accommodation for their children
You might find yourself homeless for any of the additional reasons:
- Financial problems such as debt, poverty and economic crisis;
- Physical, emotional and/or sexual abuse from another person you are dependent on e.g. your landlord or employer (if they provide you with accommodation);
- Marital or family breakdown;
- Family violence;
- Mental health issues and illnesses;
- Lack of affordable housing and/or lease expiry;
- Drug and alcohol abuse and other addictions such as chronic gambling.
* Source: ARHC